News

May 25 2017

Principal’s Message May 24, 2017

Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.—3 John 1:2

NIS welcomed Canadian holistic nutritionist, Cristina Tahoces, to speak with our parent community last Wednesday. During the talk, Cristina shared her main strategic approach to a healthy diet which she has named “Sleep-Love-Poop”. There are important foods that can help our children and us sleep better which is needed for cellular regeneration and those foods that sabotage our efforts. The right foods are needed to help with boosting immunity and giving us energy. In addition when planning our meals, we need to reflect if what we have selected is an “I love me” food. This means we are selecting food that helps with regulating our blood sugar which can lead to better memory and ability to handle stress. Finally, we need to ask if the foods we are eating are going to help us poop. Waste elimination is crucial to immunity and our overall happiness. We all know what it feels like to be bloated and it is not pleasant.

The following is a summary of her talk and her suggestions for meal planning which can help to achieve her healthy “Sleep-Love-Poop” philosophy:

My philosophy is that you don’t need to give up all of life’s guilty pleasures in the journey to eating a more nutrient-rich diet. You just have to trade empty calories from nutrient dense ones. Using this “trade up” ap-proach consistently will mean that your family’s diet will increase in:

Higher quality protein to make sure your kids and you have the energy needed for growth, regeneration, brain power and stress management;

Antioxidants to boost immunity and ward off the negative impact of our polluted environment;

Essential Fatty Acids to help lower inflammation in the body and boost brain power;

Slow-release carbohydrates to regulate blood sugar and ensure a steady energy level throughout the day and a constant release of food for the brain;

Fibre to ensure beautiful, regular poops that are key to keeping happy and healthy.
Increasing the nutrient content of your food will arm your family with what it needs to build immunity and reach the goal of “Zero Sick Days”.

My remedies have been tried and tested by my family & clients. After I had kids, I was so weak and depleted. I developed severe allergies and constantly had sinus issues. These remedies were life savers for me and I have used them to nip a fair few sore throats and runny noses in the bud over the years. There is always a role for prescription medicine – don’t get me wrong! But sometimes, having the knowledge and confidence to use safe, affordable, natural remedies is all we need.

The following are three links suggested by Cristina to help you choose a good probiotic, and to encourage your child to eat what you want them to eat:

https://www.thrivenutritionpractice.com/blog/2016/06/18/part-1-how-to-choose-a-probiotic-my-trusted-brands?rq=probiotic

https://www.thrivenutritionpractice.com/blog/2017/4/23/fewzfn7vx3re4v60tyl870kelh6o8c

https://www.thrivenutritionpractice.com/blog/2016/08/23/using-mindfulness-to-stop-emotional-eating-overcoming-resistance-to-new-foods

After the parent talk, Cristina left behind her survival guide to staying healthy and energized. Parents can visit the office and ask for a copy to explore some of the nutritional recipes she suggests that would provide a well-balanced diet.

Cristina Tahoces contact: THRIVE Nutrition Practice www.thrivenutritionpractice.com Facebook: Thrive Nutrition Practice Phone: 6332 1181 Email: cristina@thrivenutritionpractice.com