News

May 11 2017

Principal’s Message May 10, 2017

She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction on her tongue.—Proverbs 31:25-26

It is with great joy that I announce the birth of Ma Laoshi’s son, Leo, last week. He came into the world just in time for Mother’s Day! As she shared about her sleepless nights, it made me think of all the amazing mothers I see at NIS and my own mother who experienced all that with their first-born, and perhaps with their second or third-born too.

Having never been a mother myself, I cannot even begin to comprehend the selflessness, love, sacrifice and commitment of what it means to be a mother. We have all seen it on TV, in movies, read articles about it online about the hectic lives of mothers, but I wanted to hear first hand accounts of what motherhood is like and started asking my friends and staff members what it is like to be pregnant, give birth and have a little person fully dependent on you. What are those first couple of years like for new mothers?

Not surprising, they always begin by describing the busyness of their life, and everything they had to give up. They shared how they love to travel and used to do that very easily with their other half, but it is no longer the case now. One of my friends prayed desperately the first time she traveled with her daughter that she would not cry and disturb the other passengers. It sounded very stressful for a flight that was over ten hours. Some told me about worries they had and how they have their child’s next ten years mapped out.

After hearing all that, I would ask them if there is anything good about being a mother. That’s when all the beautiful “mom moments” came. They told me that feeling of fulfilment is indescribable. When you see how cute they are, when they hold their arms up to you wanting a hug or to be carried, and you know their whole world is you, nothing else matters. Every milestone is special and kept in mom’s heart. One mother told me that she was very happy enjoying life with her hus-band—just the two of them, but it was after having a child that her family felt complete. It teaches patience (and tests patience!) and all their experiences as a mother has helped them to become a better per-son.

This Mother’s Day, I want to recognise all the wonderful mothers out there who work tirelessly and endlessly taking care of the family and the children. Thank you for everything that you do. God bless you and your family, and have a great and memorable Mother’s Day this year.